Logo

Push/Pull Choke Assembly

Coach D

I have a 15hp Mercury outboard that has the pull knob choke. I cleaned the carb, got everything back together but cannot get the pull choke to work properly. Can anyone help me with this...

Is it the type that says "Pull to choke" and also twist it to a "start" "fast" or " slow" position?
On my Mercury/Mariner 6hp 2 stroke engine when you pull the choke knob it also presses a primer plunger which squirts some fuel into the carb.
Regards

If this motor is a 1986 or newer 2 stroke, it has a blue primer button that is depressed when your pull the choke knob out. You can pull it out and push it right back in because it doesn't do anything after it initially squirts fuel into the carb. I usually pull mine out twice and push it back in and it starts right up. Mine had a leak in this primer diaphragm and would squirt the fuel inside the hood. You may need to replace your choke diaphragm to get it to work correctly. Mine would never keep running until i replace this part. Idles like a dream all day long now and starts with just a touch of my key (electric start model).

Back