Logo

Tank pickup tube removal.

oneboat

Hello, all.
New member here from southeast Louisiana; and have my first question. I'm installing a Fuel Filter/Water Separator on my boat. Got the mounting done; and while I'm at it, replacing all fuel lines. Problem is, I want to check the fuel tank pickup tube screen (if there is one). I can't seem to get the pickup tube out of the poly tank. In the photo attached, the fitting (green arrow) turn in circles, as if it were a swivel. I can back out the nut (red arrow), and it will unscrew as far as the fitting, then it stops. Can someone explain to me how to remove the pickup tube?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• fitting - Copy.jpg
    fitting - Copy.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 501
poly tank fittings can be tricky and unforgiving....I'd start with the boat maker's service dept.....or a local dealer if any exist.....the last option would be to inspect the tank for a label showing who made it and contact them....

if those don't pan out, see if there's an inspection port within an arm's reach of the fittings. if so, you can remove the cover and maybe get a mirror in to see how the pickups are installed....it will also let you see I any crud has accumulated in the tank.

makomark, thanks for the reply.
I'd start with the boat maker's service dept.....or a local dealer
Unfortunately, the manufacturer was sold; and the new owners have closed the doors. Although, there are several boating dealers in the area.
From what I can see, the only way to inspect the inside of the tank, is through the fuel sending unit. I'll visit a local dealer to find more info.

Thanks again,

Did you ever get this off? Genius me sheared off the other fitting trying to remove it to clean it out. And now I've found replacement parts but the rest of it is seized on and I'm afraid to crack my tank if I twist too hard.

you shouldn't crack the tank removing the fitting...if it was corroded in, you may have to remove the tank to remove the remnants....heat can help but its fuel so extreme care is needed....repeated soakings with PB-blaster (or something similar can't hurt either....

Some are just pressed in with a couple rubber o-rings on them. Do a google search of tank pickup tubes to see one. Just a guess.

Back