Logo

Output shaft Bearing on AQ260/290, Replace it?

Indy1K

Contributing Member
Hi Folks,

we have a 1985 Sun Runner 310. I have pulled to outdrives off to replace them with 2 much better freshwater drives. I was reading an older post and it was mentioned by Ricardo to replace the PDS Bearing which is the engine output shaft bearing in the transom plate/Bellhousing where the shaft comes out. I dont have any history to tell me the bearing was ever changed.
How would I check the bearing to see if it is good or should I just change them?
Do I have to pull the engines to change this bearing?

Thanks,

Kevin

1983 SunRunner 'The Russian Princess"

Hi Folks,

we have a 1985 Sun Runner 310. I have pulled to outdrives off to replace them with 2 much better freshwater drives. I was reading an older post and it was mentioned by Ricardo to replace the PDS Bearing which is the engine output shaft bearing in the transom plate/Bellhousing where the shaft comes out. I dont have any history to tell me the bearing was ever changed.
How would I check the bearing to see if it is good or should I just change them?
Do I have to pull the engines to change this bearing?

Thanks,

Kevin

1983 SunRunner 'The Russian Princess"

Kevin, in the 24 years or so that I have been doing AQ series repair, I have been unable to successfully tell if the bearing is good.
I can tell if the bearing is bad by checking for excessive play.

If you have a GM sbc engine, the PDS will be double bearing.
All double bearing PDS s must have the engine removed for replacement.

The flywheel cover can be left attached to the transom shield.

If by chance a previous owner has replace the flywheel cover with a charcoal gray unit, and w/out a grease fitting, this will be a single bearing PDS...... in which case the engine does not need to be removed.

Back