Logo

fuel/water seperator for 165 4cyl

Rscottdds

Regular Contributor
I forgot and left the gas cap off and ran the boat all day. The one presently installed is a 24 micron long sierra canister type. I removed it. No water but a bunch of crud in there so I am going to replace it. The new spare that came with the boat is a 10 micron short canister. Its the only on I have so I am going to use it and see how it goes. I'll bring the old one with me just in case. Any issues with using a 10 micron short on 165 4cyl?

No but pre fill it at least half way with clean fresh gas so the fuel pump does not have to work so hard sucking fuel thru it.

The crud is either from the tank or there is rust in the old one.......they will do that....rust...

The standard style Sierra, Merc, OMC and other marine fuel filters, use gravity and element absorption for holding/separating water from the gasoline.

If you are wanting a true fuel/water separating filtration system, look at the Parker/RACOR products.
For I/B's, the metal bowl must be used.
311psN6qJNL._AA160_.jpg

To save a few dollars, a retro-fit system can be purchased that will fit your existing base. This would be the RACOR cartridge and metal bowl.
All you'd need would be the filter cartridge thread size/pitch from your existing set up.

Back