Logo

60hp mercury wont start

judge

Hi ive got a 3cyl 2stroke motor that was running fine the next day it wouldn't start when u kick it over it dont sound like it wants to start when i stop kicking it over its sort off starts but back fires its got a new stator switch box its got spark an fuel i just can't work it out any suggestions would be much appreciated oh an i think its a 1995 model

I would recommend the standard tests to narrow your problem down to a specific problem. Most problems with starting are fuel problems, but that being said I would do compression test first. Then a spark test making sure it can jump a large gap to give you the correct spark. If you have compression and spark, chances are you have a fuel problem. Check the hoses and fittings for good connection. Next would be the carburetors. If the motor has sat around with fuel left in the carbs, the jets could be clogged and will require the carbs to be disassembled and soaked to properly clean them. This is pretty basic, but I hope it gets you started. You can do it!

Back