Logo

trim & tilt question 1994 55hp 2 stroke

william B

My trim and tilt sometimes doesn't work in the up switch position. If I quickly hit the switch from down to up several times the trim will work in the up
position. Is this a relay assembly problem or something else? Any way to test if the relay assembly is the problem, without buying a new one? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you

William

I would ohm the switch before you replace the relay. When up button is depressed you should have continuity between the red and blue leads going thru the switch. It seems your problem is intermittent so test several times.

If you have continuity check connections, if they are good a relay is your most likely culprit.

I would ohm the switch before you replace the relay. When up button is depressed you should have continuity between the red and blue leads going thru the switch. It seems your problem is intermittent so test several times. If you have continuity check connections, if they are good a relay is your most likely culprit.
Thanks Jake for the response, I did as you said and there is fire on the blue side of the relay when the up trim switch is pushed. If I push the down switch and while the trim motor is running down immediately push to up, then the motor will reverse. I'm assuming now that its probably a connection problem in the motor, corroded or loose on the up side. Do you know if I can get to these connections inside the motor before I remove the motor or is the only solution replacing the trim motor? Thanks again,

Back