Logo

OMC 3.0 liter 4 cylinder No spark.

Richard Stone

Hello all. I recently purchased a 1985 seaswirl runabout with an OMC 3.0 liter. Model number 302STHRCOM. The boat was sitting for about a year, however the motor fired up just fine when I went to check it out. Took it out for the first time two weeks ago and did just fine. Wasn't too confident in the motor so I didn't throttle up the first time. Just put it in gear and putted around. Took it out yesterday and decided to give it some throttle after a few hours on the water. The motor died and now it won't fire. I am getting gas to the carb, motor turns over like it should. Just no spark as far as i can tell. Took the top off the dizzy and everything seems brand new. With the battery disconnected and the points closed I checked the ohms on the points and it read 0. Which to my understanding means the points are still good. Is that correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Edit: With the key in the on position I have 10.30 volts on positive side of coil. Battery says 12.26 volts. I unplugged HV wire off dizzy held to ground and had motor cranking, didn't see spark.

Last edited:
Ok will do. So it should be the same 10.3 volts? If not bad coil? Also the way I tested the points is right? They should be good if when there closed it reads 0 ohms? Edit: Negative wire dc'ed from coil, key in on position. Voltage on pos side of coil is 10.3. Voltage on neg side is 4.7.

Last edited:
Ok. The coil voltage with neg wire disconnected on pos side was 10.3 and neg side was 4.7. Bad coil? When you say jumper wire you mean jump from battery to coil? And do I connect the neg wires back to coil before the jump?

Last edited:
If it was running at idle then I doubt that the problem is your coil. It might be a bad condensor. If they go it will kill your spark. I would also suggest that you pay attention to the fuel supply system. Did you put fresh gas in it? That may have shaken loose some crud. Especially if you introduce ethanol fuel.

To check the condenser I remove condenser from distributor and also the black wire coming off the condenser? Then insulate between the two points, and use screw driver to look for spark off of the movable point and the base plate?

Ok. I connected the neg wires back to coil, turned the key on and jumped the neg side of the coil to ground on motor(i can use the bolt that holds the coil to the motor as a ground correct?). I got no sparks, no nothing. I checked the voltage on coil while key was in on position again and pos side read 10.2 volts and neg side read .19 volts.

Last edited:
Pulled wires off of coil. Tested with multi meter set at 200 ohms and I got no reading. Will update when I replace coil. Thank you for the input.

Last edited:
Well I bought new coil, put it on. Motor fired up after I put a little gas down carb. It then died, and fired up again after more gas down carb but then again died. It seems I'm not getting gas at idle however when I push down throttle linkage at carb it does squirt gas into carb. I am stuck like chuck right now because I think I flooded motor. Any advice that would help with idle issue?

Edit: it is a rochestor 2 jet carburetor.

Last edited:
Back