Logo

20 hp over reving with stock prop

7tcu

I have 9 1/4 X 10 prop and I get to high rpm's with this prop. The next size I can find is a
9 1/4 X 11, I am wondering if this might lower the rpm's enough. This is a 20hp without any
Tach. I can run it about 95% after that I get the warning lite and it starts to miss or surge.
Anyone else have this occur and am I going in the right direction.

probably the wrong direction...first of all find out if you are truly over revving..if you are then get the right prop...but i think you are experiencing a hi speed miss problem...if you are truly over revving and causing a miss or surge then you may have damaged the engine..

2015 20hp suzuki, pushing a 14' alumacraft jon boat, motor is brand new, and this is the same prop that comes on a 15hp. I know the rpm's are to high because it surges show the warning lite and shuts you down to lower speed like the manual says if you hold that speed for to long. So I guess I need more pitch to correct this. The motor is on my boat at my lake house about 240 miles away. I used it this past week for the first time and will not use it again until April.

Ok, I was wrong about the 15hp prop, it is a 9 pitch. The jon boat is rated for 25hp so this 20 will do alright. I will most likely go to a stainless prop for all the stumps in the lake I fish. Thanks for he replies.

Just got back from a week on Canyon Lake and the 9 1/4 X 11 prop cured the overspeed problem, motor ran great.
It even gave me a little more speed. Might be because of less deflection as it is stainless rather than aluminum.

Back