Logo

Yamaha 40hp 2 stroke stuck in forward...please help

rbro1979

H folks,

I have (had) a reliable 1999 40hp Yam 2 stroke with little hours. We hadn't run It since last year but it had been winterised and turned over monthly. I serviced it yesterday, gear oil change, impeller change, new plugs and new filter but when tested it is constantly in forward gear. All mechanisms under the hood are operating smoothly and engine is running/pumping water as is should.

We had the tail off today and it seems the gear selector/ changer (in front of the impeller) doesn't select gear or neutral. When we turn dial when we're spinning prop there doesn't seem to be any change.

Is there an issue with the gear box? Have I done something when I took tail off to change impeller?

Any advice would be most welcome. I have two kids desperate to get some creels out.

Ta Russ

Did you remove lower unit with control in nuetral ?---Forward ?----------------Did you ensure the lower unit was in nuetral and the control in nuetral when you put it together ??--------Or did you just hope that it would all be OK.-----Careful work is required here.

Hi,

thanks so so much for your reply.

To be honest I followed an online guide that never mentioned checking controls were in neutral. I would guess they would have been as I wouldn't of left boat in gear over winter. If it was in forward when dismantled what is needed to fix?

thanks again

russ

Thank you both for your replies.

This sounds like it is a fair bit past my abilities. I think I'll admit defeat and put it to the pros, I wouldn't like to break it completely.

thank you both again, next time I'll not be such a tight assed Scotsman and put it in for a service.

cheers

What often happens is that it snaps into forward ( if taken apart in nuetral ) when you are not looking.-------So take it apart again.--------Control in nuetral.-----Gearcase in nuetral and re-assemle

What often happens is that it snaps into forward ( if taken apart in nuetral ) when you are not looking.-------So take it apart again.--------Control in nuetral.-----Gearcase in nuetral and re-assemle

Thanks racerone,

that at sounds doable. How do I know when the gear as is in neutral? (Sorry for the million questions).

thanks again

russ

Back