Logo

Kamd42p-a supercharger

Normally the supercharger coming in and out at 2800 - 3000 is because your turbo is not making enough boost. Are your rpm's fluctuating up and down a little at the same time? Need to put a boost gauge on to check, but most likely you need to get your turbo exhaust housing sleeved (if you have someone near you who does this) or get a new turbo. Welcome to the wonderful world of Volvo turbos. Other possibility is an intake system leak, but the bad turbo exhaust housing is a very common issue with Volvo's.

Normally the supercharger coming in and out at 2800 - 3000 is because your turbo is not making enough boost. Are your rpm's fluctuating up and down a little at the same time? Need to put a boost gauge on to check, but most likely you need to get your turbo exhaust housing sleeved (if you have someone near you who does this) or get a new turbo. Welcome to the wonderful world of Volvo turbos. Other possibility is an intake system leak, but the bad turbo exhaust housing is a very common issue with Volvo's.
Thanks aliboy, I should of mentioned that I have just replaced the turbo and exhaust housing and the rpm is steady. Plenty of power now. Supercharger cuts out at around 2500 as it should but with the problem I stated in initial post. i think the supercharger only works on rpm range and not boost pressure?

I know the KAD32 better than the 42p, but I expect the setup for the supercharger is similar. On the KAD32 I seem to remember that there is a pulse sensor mounted on the timing cover that feeds the 'black box'. The 'blackbox' uses that to determine the rpm range and switches +12v to the supercharger clutch to engage the supercharger in it's operating range. For the supercharger to cut in intermittently with no change in rpm's you are probably looking at a faulty sensor or possibly a lose sensor wire. I would check the wiring from the sensor to the 'blackbox' as a first check. If it is like the KAD32 there is a smallish black module as part of the electronics that you can trace the sensor wire to so you can see if that looks OK as well. I have a vague recollection that there may also be some type of microswitch on the throttle arm setup that affects the operation as well, but can't remember the details other than that it might be the worlds most expensive microswitch. Not sure if that exists on the 42p or not.
Like many others, we put a switch into the +12v feed to the superchargers so we could turn the damn things off when we wanted to. They can be a complete pain in the a*** when you are travelling slow in rough seas etc and for many uses you don't even need them to run. It's a $10 and 1 hour job that can make living with a supercharged Volvo much nicer.

Back