Logo

D3-130 noisy power steering pump?

burkstar

Contributing Member
My engine eats power steering pumps.
the previous one worked fine but gave out a high pitched screeching nose that got progressively worse so I replaced it with a new one although after inspecting the old one it appears to be perfect and as tight as a drum.
The new one I have fitted after only 4 hours of use has now started screeching as well.
could it be that the belt has somehow become to tight and is putting to much pressure on it or has anyone got any other ideas they might like to share ??

Belt tension only gets looser on its own. If over tightened will impact pump. Also, check that the steering pump pulley is running in the same plane ( in/out and "flat") as the pulley on the engine that is driving it. Is the PS pump the only device on the belt?

Power steering pump isn't the only devise on that belt, the belt also runs the raw water pump, alternator, etc but checked them with a stephoscope and all seem fine. The screeching is coming from the power steering pump. Odd

Get a carpenter's "square" or straight edge and lay it across the power steering pump's pulley face and see how it lays against the next nearest device on the same belt. both pulley's should exactly touch the "square" or straight edge at two places 180 degrees from each other at the same time.

Back