Logo

My marina is too busy?

footbrake

Contributing Member
Well my marina is contracted every year to pull the boat, power wash the bottom, change the fluids and winterize the engine, shrink wrap it and store it. This week I asked if everything was done and they said they're so busy that they winterized it but won't change the motor oil and filter, the water/fuel filter and change the out drive fluid till the spring. Is this OK? What if there is some water in the out drive fluid and water in the fuel/water filter. I'm kind of questioning their decision. Should I worry about it?? Thanks for any input

Dirty engine oil is NEVER good to let sit in your engine all winter.
If there is water in your out drive you need to find out NOW , not in the spring after everything is corroded, that can get expensive.
The absolute minimum thing for the drive is pull the dip stick and make sure it isn't a milk shake in there, that should be one of the first things you do when ever you haul the boat, every time you haul the boat.
It always made sense to me to change drive oil & engine oil and filters, run the engine a little on cuffs or whatever, THEN winterize.

Dirty engine oil is NEVER good to let sit in your engine all winter.
If there is water in your out drive you need to find out NOW , not in the spring after everything is corroded, that can get expensive.
The absolute minimum thing for the drive is pull the dip stick and make sure it isn't a milk shake in there, that should be one of the first things you do when ever you haul the boat, every time you haul the boat.
It always made sense to me to change drive oil & engine oil and filters, run the engine a little on cuffs or whatever, THEN winterize.

Used/dirty engine oil gives off caustic fumes.

If they will not change your fluids according to the contract......Sounds like you need to move to a different Marina

I'm with Castle Cape and Chris on this one.
While things may be OK, they cannot be confirmed until examined.

Engine oil can become laden with combustion bi-products that may cause acidity and alkalinity. Not a complete deal-breaker, but this is why we change engine oil prior to lay-up!

An engine fuel delivery system will survive the winter much better when stabilizers are added and allowed to enter the system.

Drive gear oil that may have become water contaminated is not good if left installed. Let's hope that if water has contaminated the the gear oil, that it remains hydrogenated. (H20/engine oil separation is when damage may occur)

I'll speculate that this marina's winter customer count is no greater than the previous years, and that they may be short staffed this year.
Perhaps voice your concerns..... maybe they will be able to get to it soon.

Back