Logo

Start up Squeal

Mark McM

I have a pair of Crusader 270's circa 1983 with 1400 hrs. On cold start up, the port engine has a squeal or whine that goes away as the RPM comes up. At first I thought it was a belt, changed those, the raw water pump, changed that, the alternator, took that off and had it tested fine, changed cap and rotor, (has been updated to EST ignition years ago) to and still i have this squeal. It does sound a lot like a bearing running dry. I am running DELO 400 15W40 oil and change it annually at about 60 - 75 HRS.
Now I am thinking this might be oil pressure related (as it goes away and does not happen on a restart) but am wondering if any of you might have some ideas of what to check next.
Appreciate all comments and thanks in advance.

Only thing left up front is the engine water pump. They are known to squeal as you described. Might take the belt off when the engine is cold and rotate it by hand to see how the bearing feels.
Good Luck.
FL Panhandle

As silly as this sounds...I had the same symptoms......thought it was a belt. I thought that was a bit odd seeing I just had just replaced all the belts this year and the symptoms did not appear for about a week or so after the belts were replaced.

The squeal went away as the RPM increased as well

Went in the engine room and looked around and finally found the problem when I was looking DOWN, over the front of the engine.

One of my new belts was on the wrong pulley......moved belt problem solved

Color me EMBARASSED:eek:

Well, I checked the circ water pump. Removed the belt and fired it up for a minute. Squeal still there.
On further listening I think it might be the starter. Maybe the bendix is not fully releasing?????
I am going to take it off and send it in to be checked.

Well.....I took the starter to have it "serviced" and it checked out fine, in fact they can't believe it's 32 years old !!
So... I am still looking for ideas. Maybe the Velvet drive? 71C direct 1:1.52.... or maybe the distributor?? thoughts?
I'll try and video the start up and post it just so you can hear this "squeal"

Make sure the outer ring on the harmonic balancer hasn't slid back into the timing chain cover. You'll see paint missing on the cover.

Still working on this squealing noise.
I am sure that the noise is from the distributor.
An old "Chevy" guy told me that it could be that the shaft and gear are seated too low and not allowing oil to lubricate at start up.
Is there an easy way to shim this to allow a greater tolerance?
Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

I have the same squeal off my right motor at cold start only for about two or three seconds. Mine are 1987 Crusader 270's with 1590 Hrs. It sounds to me like it's coming from the front of the engine, and when I tightened up the water pump belt, it seemed to help for awhile. I've always thought it takes quite a bit of effort to get that belt properly tightened due to it's location.

It defiantly has the sound of a belt or possibly a bearing...wondering what you'd feel if anything if you touched the cap at start up and see if it resonates in your hand. I'll try on mine next time I start and report back.

I'll be watching this post for sure.

Good luck.

Went for a run yesterday and had the same slight squeal for a moment on the right engine. I felt the distributor while it happened and it was fine....so that's not it. Just thought I'd throw that out there. I'm still thinking it must be the belt in the water pump pulley taking a second to mate with the belt properly.

Just a thought.....

Is the ignition switch sticking in the start position? Possible weak spring in the switch after the engine fires up see if the switch snaps into the run position all the way and if that make it stop squealing by doing it manually if necessary?

I have eliminated the belts as being the problem. ( I ran the engine briefly with out the belts ) Fairly certain it's oil pressure related as it goes away with a slight throttle increase and is really only noticeable on a cold start up. I will double check the ignition switch theory, I'll use the fly bridge switch and see if it acts the same. Thanks for the advice so far......

I would use a mechanics stethoscope. There are a lot of metal on metal surfaces that rely on pressurized oil film and have none at startup. Could be timing sprocket pushing on the timing chain cover all the way back to VD oil pump and everything in between. BUT, it's certainly not normal. Would be nice to narrow it down some. Without belts on, it does smell like internal issue.
Open the oil filter and see if there are filings. That may indicate how important this is.

I wonder if this squealing is coming from the transmission. Could it be that if it sits too long the plates in the transmission rub for the second or two it takes to get oiled?

Duke1

My apologies for not providing an update. The fact is I have not found a solution and have just been living with it.
I did change cap and rotor this Summer and noticed that the permanent magnet on the distributor is loose.
(These are Delco EST distributors that were upgraded by the previous owner about 12 years ago)
I have just ordered a new distributor and over the Winter will install it. Fingers crossed this will fix it once and for all.
Now looking at the easiest way to re and re the distributors.
Sorry again for dragging this out.

I believe that the squeal you have is because of the battery demand to be charged that stresses the belts ,and after the demand is met and the batteries are "Happy" the squeal go's away

Back