Logo

Freeze concerns with 454XL Crusader

Ply

Contributing Member
Hello all, running a 94 XL motor.

With colder weather nearing I am refreshing my memory with my owners manual regarding "RAW" water flow pathway. This is my first season with her so bear with me.

With a freshwater cooled engine I would never be concerned with draining the block, correct? As there is only coolant in the actual block, correct?

If we had a deep freeze what areas would I be MOST concerned with??

THANKS!!!

Hello all, running a 94 XL motor.

With colder weather nearing I am refreshing my memory with my owners manual regarding "RAW" water flow pathway. This is my first season with her so bear with me.

With a freshwater cooled engine I would never be concerned with draining the block, correct? As there is only coolant in the actual block, correct?

If we had a deep freeze what areas would I be MOST concerned with??

THANKS!!!

#1 - yes....assuming the coolant has a freeze point appropriate for the storage environment.....

#2 - no, it should be a MIXTURE of coolant and water....their ratio determines the freeze point referenced above....also, it would be good to verify the coolant is still alkaline (vs acidic) before storage begins....

#3 - if it is a "full" system, the exhaust manifolds should have the coolant mixture in them (just like the block). So, what is left is the raw water pump, the oil coolers, the heat exchanger, and the risers/exhaust elbows. The only "trick" is to make sure the drain holes are NOT clogged (and the exhaust is most susceptible due to corrosive nature of the gases it carries...)

The owner's manual should address the steps to ensure no damage is done during freezing conditions....there are other options but they may not be appropriate for a given local (North Carolina isn't the pacific northwest....).

.."The tide waits for no man"

Neither does winter! Hate to tell you how many wrecked engines I've see.

Jeff

Back