Logo

Tilt Mechanism for a Mercury 800 (80hp)

Maddog68

Help please!!

I have a old Mercury 800 (80hp) outboard and the tilt mechanism does function fully, I have been advised to check the hydraulic fluid level and top up if needed. H

Problem is I cannot find where to check or top up the fluids... the tilt won't go down with a push to get it moving and then sometimes fails altogether .. any help will be appreciated

Attachments

• Tilt and trim 1.jpg
    Tilt and trim 1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 131
  • Tilt and trim.jpg
    Tilt and trim.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 101
There are two screws on the top left corner of the pump reservoir in pic 1,one phillips,the vent, and a flat blade screw,the fill screw.Open both,fill to the bottom of the threads of the fill screw,work the tilt trim,refill if necessary,repeat working the tilt trim and repeat until it doesn't need refilling,then put the screws back in.

Thank you haventaclue. Properly the reason i couldn't see it as it tucked up under the transom.. I will take a closer look.. Thanks again

Top right corner.:eek: There is a bleed screw on each of the rams as well but I find the whole system bleeds just well via the pump vent.

Last edited:
Hi, I managed to top up the oil fine and tilt worked fine going down. However cant get it to come back up. I can hear the motor spinning or working but nothing happening. Any ideas?

Thanks jeff,

Not sure if solenoid valve is not closing or not. All i can hear is the motor working and nothing happening. How can i tell?

Back