Logo

Intermittent sputtering on low end when warm

turbz

Can't figure my bf25 out... Went thru the carbs completely; set idle speed, pilot jets and synced the carbs everything runs perfect until it gets warm or up to temp. Starts great runs perfect at wot but 20-30 minutes of running it starts to miss intermittently at idle and trolling speeds. Shut it down and when it cools off works great until warm. Any ideas? Do these have the same issue with "power packs" like on small omc's?

when the problem start check green oil light and if you are sure with temperature just disconnect the temperature sensor which on the cylinder head.i have experience of bad temperature sensor on BF 20.

wajira

Also, make sure that the engine is coming up to temperature. It does new to be warm to idle correctly. Grab the oil filter and feel how warm it is. If it is not very warm, check the thermostat (maybe stuck open), as wajira suggested.

As for the question on the power pack issue. Hondas do not have the same kind of issues as the Johnson/Evinrudes.
When it starts to malfunction, perform a cylinder drop test and see if the miss is in any particular cylinder. When you pull the spark plug wires off, put it close to the spark plug and listen to the spark ticking. Make sure the ticking is the same on all of the cylinders. I have had a couple of 25/30's that the cdi did crossfire and cause one of the cylinders to fire twice as much as it should and cause that cylinder to misfire when the engine got warm.

Mike

Back