Logo

Fuel usage on twin 200s

Skooter

Advanced Contributor
I ran 74 nm, crusing 3500-3800 rpms and got 1.12 mpg on my 2003 200s with 775 hours on them. I run a mako 261 with an armstrong 30" bracket. I expected better mpg. Feel free to post your numbers...I'm contemplating going to the new suzuki 200s.

How did you got this numbers ? i am getting fuel consumption reading on Dr.H. it is GPH(gallon per hour) or LPH (liter per hour ) Any other device do you attached ?

I have BF250 reading it is 30 to 35 LPH at 3500 to 4000 Rpm.

Suzuki DF200 new engine is Inline $ cylinder ,but no idea about fuel consumption and performance

wajira

On my 25 ft. C-Hawk cabin boat with modified V hull, weighing about 5500 lbs. fully loaded with 30" motor extension running with a single BF 225 at 4200 rpm's on flat water I get 25 MPH and fuel flow is 8.3 GPH and approximately 3.1 miles per gallon. At the time I recorded these readings the motor had about 500 hours on it.

By rough approximation, running duel 200's with a lighter load on each engine, it seems that you should be doing a little better than 1.12 MPG. Seems as if you should be getting at least 2.0 MPG. Having said that, MPG is a lousy measure of engine efficiency on a boat because there are too many variables that have nothing to do with the engines - sea conditions, hull configuration, hull cleanliness, prop size, prop pitch, engine trim, load, load distribution, and on and on.

Given their size, these Honda 200's and 225's are as efficient as it gets for an outboard when they are properly set up and tuned. BTW - the only difference between the 200 and the 225 is that the 225's have a VTEC system which kicks in at higher RPM's - usually over 4200.

I assume that your boat can be trailered. If so, then it may pay you to have a dealer hook up the Honda Diagnostic Computer to each engine and see if there are any internal issues. Also, when is the last time you changed the plugs? And, are the plugs NGK IZFR6F11?

One other thing that will help fuel efficiency is to have the fuel injectors pulled and professionally cleaned and refurbished.

I have an HDS and have not seen anything pop up out of the ordinary. Plugs have about 25 hrs on the and are NGK IZFR6F11. I also did a decarb on both engines and have run a strong mix of sea foam. I calculated the mpg on the total miles traveled divided by gallons required to fill up tank again, that includes idling as well.

Back