Logo

What to look for buying 30 hP 4stroke

jenkodiesel

Hi, just thought I'd ask what should I do or look for on a 2009 30hp efi four stroke merc motor that is on a boat I'm looking at. There is no hour meter which is risky. Do these motors have any general issues? Any input would be appreciated, thank you, darryl.

My biggest issue with 4 strokes, used that is, is that you hardly ever know if it was serviced correctly or not.

Most owners buy a package deal (boat, motor, trailer) on easy payment terms - use the boat quite a bit the first season, don't have it serviced at all, then it gets out a couple long weekends until the significant other starts complaining about the rig hogging the drive/garage that's costing money (payments) and never gets used.

With a 2 stroke you clean the carb, service the water pump, throw in some new plugs and off you go. 4 strokes are far more temperamental and "needed" to be serviced in accordance with the schedule.

So to ensure you don't end up with 175 lbs of scrap metal, in short order, I would make a condition of sale a positive tech check. Paying the cost of having it checked by a certified tech is the only sure way of ensuring you are getting a functional engine that won't cost as much as a replacement in repairs to get it working properly.

Now, if the owner has receipts to show annual service or if it's a marine dealer and they are offering at least a minimal (6 month) warranty you can buy blind (but I would want to at least see it running - a test ride would be even better).

And as far as no hour meter, that is never a concern of mine. A 6 year old motor should have 400 to 600 hours on it - anything significantly less = usually lack of service since no one spends money on a motor they don't use or lot's of sitting around, which kills more motors than overuse.

Yes, all good points, it is a Mercury dealer I'm buying it from and it has been serviced there " full service done" but I don't know them. They are 3 hrs away so I just want to arm myself with some pryer knowledge. Thank you for the quick response. PS. The reason for wanting a merc 4stroke is I've been out trolling with a friend who has one and I could only hear the exhaust bubbles when it ran. Cheers, Darryl

Hi, what a waste of time and 650 km's. The "Murcury dealer" had twenty or thirty mix and match boats and was like a shonky used car dealer. The 30hp merc had been just put on a very rough aluminium hull . When I asked about plugging in the computer to see the hrs etc he said it had " blown up" and was getting repaired. When I took off the cover the engine was oily and then I noticed the oil filter had mult grip (pipe wrench) marks on it. When I mentioned this he took $1500 bucks off straight away but that was still too pricey. I'll get back to you was my parting remark.. Anyway, nothing ventured,nothing gained. I did look at another boat on the way home which was much neater but had a '06 30hp Honda on it so that's another story. Any thoughts on four stroke Hondas? Thanks, darryl.

Back