Logo

Trim Tilt Problem

jn1440

Contributing Member
Hello everyone! I would appreciate some input on tracking down an issue on the trim tilt on my 1984 Evirnude 70. Problem is the trim motor will not run at all so I know im looking at an electrical problem. So far I have cleaned and checked all (I think) connections and contacts in the system, checked the fuse, and replaced a few connectors that were corroded. I checked voltage in the relay box on the engine and I have 12.6v on the main power input.(Not sure what its called exactly but its the red wire bolted in the top left corner of the box) The odd part is when I hit the switch I do get some power to the relays, 12mv or so, I was thinking a problem with the switch. I put a jumper between the red and blue wire on the switch with no luck. So, now I am here out of ideas.

The electric motor should have only two wires. If so, it is a dual polarity motor, meaning that if two small jumper wires are attached to those wires, the motor should run in one direction... reversing the jumper wires should make the motor run in the opposite direction.

Trace the electric motor cable to its connector and unplug it, then use the jumper wires mentioned to test that electric motor. Let us know what you find.

Since the electric motor is okay..... Usually a problem of not having the electric motor run is a problem in having it run in one direction only... and that has usually proven to be a faulty relay. It just isn't logical to have two faulty relays but it's possible. I'd suggest having one new relay on hand to use as test equipment.

I will try a new relay but it does seem odd for both of them to kick the bucket at the exact same time. I pulled the switch apart today as well and it looks to be in good shape and its getting 10 volts, I wonder is that enough, should it be 12v at the switch as well?

check for bad connection on hot lead around the starter or starter solenoid...i am not sure but i think it picks up the 12v there...
keep in mind that you will only see a voltage drop when pulling current or trying to do so...in this case when you are trying to trim..when just probing around with no load you will see the same voltage on both sides of resistance..

Ah ha I got it! The main power feed running from the bus bar on the engine was corroded through. Never trust a wire with electrical tape on it is my lesson learned. The tricky part was that when I put the probes from the multimeter on the wire it moved it enough to complete the circuit but then when I took the multimeter off it went back to being dead. Glad to have my trim back lifting the engine by hand was getting old. Thanks for the help guys!

Back