Logo

Cant start my new 88 fourwinns freedom 3.0 omc

Andrew fabian

Hey guys. I just purchased a used fourwinns freedom in need of a new interior. I decided to take on the project as I've always worked on cars and figured I could handle the work being familiar with a good many things.

Now that being said this my first boat. And I can't seem to start it. As I said it needs work so I wanted to start at the engine getting running and operating correctly and go from there. So I put in new plugs. Wires are good and everything in the engine area looks clean and sound. Hooked up new battery and it'll turn over. But not fire. I can't for the life of me find a kill switch. Is there one on these boats? If so where would it be located? The side panels had been removed. Could it have been there? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Oh jeez I have no idea. There's no cord of any kind so I'm assuming if there was a switch the cord and clip device are missing. As far as I can see on dash it just wheel. Keyed ignition. Switches for blower pump lights so forth. Where could I find model number for the engine?

Yea definetly not one of those on board haha. I'm assuming I'll have to find a wiring diagram and wire one in. It was probably affixed to the side near throttle. And seeing as side panels were removed I'm assuming they may have tossed it.

If there is a kill switch disconnect would it even turn over? Make sure it's in neutral...it won't start if in gear.

Have you tried spraying starting fluid in the carb and then turning it over? It may not be getting fuel.

Back