Logo

2003 115hp efi won't rev up, no power

eric80

Regular Contributor
Hi, my 2003 Merc 115 hp efi outboard has all of a sudden stopped working properly
starts no problem idles no problem, runs at trolling speed no problem but soon as I throttle up engine sounds a bit rough,
and won't give me more than 2000 rpm.
no smoke, oil in motor, no carbon build up in exhaust
In neutral same issue, rpm won't come up.

not many hours on this motor, in good condition otherwise
any ideas?

HI thanks
I'm getting spark on all 4 spark plugs
cylinder #1 plug is a different color than the other 3 and after I turn the starter motor off when #1 plug is out of the cylinder I'm getting 'run on' from something on the left side of the motor.
I'll try to attach pics and recording of the 'run on'

following is a link to a utube video.
when #1 cylinder spark plug is out or all plugs are out it makes a sound after the start motor has finished.
does this have anything to do with my no power?

HI faztbullet
are you saying the sound I'm hearing might be the fuel pump?
and if so it shouldn't be sounding like this and my no power problem might be a bad fuel pump?

No its likely normal . The plug being a different color could be from a injector problem,compression, or oil,temp sender problem putting in a safe mode...

hmmm put new plugs in, new fuel filter. Out on the water I get full rpm in neutral but under load (in gear) only 3000 rpm max.

It can only be running on 2 cylinder and will get full rpm with no load(neutral), also this is a bad thing to do as it can go into a runaway and damage engine...

thanks for you help.
I'm booked into the shop Tuesday

what do you mean by 'can go into a runaway"

Happy Thanksgiving
cheers

eric80

Back