Logo

650 red band (1967)

jenkodiesel

Hi, I may have made a simple impeller change into a nightmare. When I went to put the leg back on the gear change spline didn't quite line up so I lowered the leg a bit and turned it slightly and put it back together and tried the forward controls. Now I only have forward so I removed the leg and now can't get neutral or reverse and the change spline feels a bit loose. Do I have to disassemble the gearbox to put something back. Thank you, darryl.

Probably not. Try again with the cam on the LU turned CCW until all the slack is taken out. That's the mistake most people make when stuffing the works back up there.

A couple of tips: You can just get some fingers in there to make sure the cam is all the way CCW with the rest of the deal (water tube and crank splines) engaged. And unless you are a weight lifter, and have lots of help, a bungee cord or two will help you with the weight of that thing.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I was trying to put it back together in nutral just as it came apart. I'll see what I can do today using your way. The change spline just feels loose though and not engaged in the gearbox but doesn't turn right around so I may have just lost the plot with where to start fresh. Cheers, darryl.

I used to do it in neutral until I found that the slightest tap can cause the LU to jump into forward. I now use forward exclusively, along with sticking my fingers in between the LU and tower to make sure all slack is out.

On that impeller flipping over, that rarely happens and--if it did--running the motor would flip it back.

Jeff

GOT IT ! Thank you for all your advice. The spline didn't want to go back to neutral even with a bit of force but then I ratcheted the prop over and it clicked in . I was turning the drive shaft but when the prop was turned it worked. Yes it does click out of neutral easily so I put it back in forward as suggested but didn't let it go too far past where it just clicks in. All good ! What a classy looking engine these things are,and it goes really well. Best $400 bucks I've ever spent which included the boat ,cheers, Darryl.

Back