Logo

Motor wont turn over. I don't believe the engine is seized.

rantangdon

I have been researching this problem for a few days.
I have had a lot of good information but am still bewildered on how to access the drive shaft without removing the engine. I found out how to remove the stern drive from the back of the boat finally. From what I am seeing if I remove the drive shaft plate and bushings etc it looks like I can pull the driveshaft out. Is that right? I have been told that sometimes there are parts that rust together and keep the engine from rotating due to a locked up drive system in the stern drive. I Don't quite understand this but if the boat is in neutral it should free up the engine rotation right! I went down to the local boat shop for a Repair manual for the OMC 800 Stern Drive but they were out of them. The tech told me I should look for another boat that is newer or in running order. The repair on my boat would be to costly for its age. 1985. After looking at prices for parts I believe he was right but I am a die hard back yard mechanic. I don't want to let this problem beat me. I have built to many cars up to let a boat beat me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rantang

Back