Logo

1985 50hp mercury outboard surging RPM

R

rikk

I have recently became the owner of the a/n item. I has a history of a surging rpm . The motor starts and idles quite satisfactorily, and long time low speed/rpm as in trolling for fish is quite possible. it has sufficient power to plane the 17ft aluminium hull it is attached to, but the local marine owner says it is not meeting its total potential. The problem shows up at all rpm levels as a rapid thrusting forward/slowing down motion. so if one is sitting
on a bench seat one's spine is constantly jerking back and forth
Recent and historical attempts to fix the problem included the following (a) overhaul both carbs by cleaning and new kits (b) new stator installed , apparently this the second time (c) new CDI (ignition pac) (d) new spark plugs. (e) general all overall examination

It has been suggested that the exhaust ports maybe "coaked" but I wonder why it does at low rpms.

This is a mystery and I would appreciate any thoughts in respect to a cure

Three things to try at no cost to you.------Run with a timing light and see if there are spark issues.-----Borrow a known to be good tank and hose and test run.------------Remove lower unit and shine a good flash light in the exhaust tuner to look for blockage.

Back