Logo

318 engine replacement car engine to boat

circle hook

Regular Contributor
hello I have a 1972 318 engine in my boat and I am trying to sell my 1999 dodge Durango but no buyers so far, I was wondering if I could switch my exhaust, alternator, water intake pump, etc. would the engine bolt to my stringers,& transmission. the engine has very little miles and well taken care of, I would make out better than if I sold the truck.

Thanks Bob

Not sure on the mounts, but if it's a raw water cooled installation you'd need brass freeze out plugs and a cast iron intake.

Jeff

jeff have an heat exchanger so the freeze out plugs are ok. so that's why I am wondering if I can with very little change just drop her in,

Worth a good look at least. The torque profile isn't right--it's not a really low speed torque motor--but it has a LOT more power than an old 360 marine engine.

Can you get a tape measure on the mounts? Pretty sure the bell housing is the same, but these guys can tell you for certain:

The slantsix forum.

Jeff

yea the guys from slant six said with all the pollution stuff on the newer motor, the engine computer wont allow it to run right without it. catalytic converter etc..

Rats! Forgot about that. Could you adapt the 99 manifold for a carb? I did that for my old Pontiac autocrosser.

Jeff

yea but jeff they say the engine wont run right with the computer missing feed back from the catalytic converter, and other pollution things. I don't think it will work in a boat

I guess if the distributor also would fit and line up, taking out of the picture the newer ignition it might work but that's some what I was looking to up grade too.

Edelbrock makes an intake to put a 4bbl on a Magnum 318 Its a great swap, the stock Magnum cam will work well in a marine application, and seeing as how the engine was designed as an emission motor for a truck it has very high quality exhaust valves stock. Your marine distributor will work, and you should be able to re use the carb as well. The heads on the magnum are a huge improvement over the 72s I'd guess you would gain 40-50 HP. The other change I'd recommend is swapping to the 85 up center rise exhaust manifolds, while you are in there they flow much better. With the magnum and newer manifolds I'd bet you could go up one or to degrees of pitch in the prop to lower your cruising RPM and get better economy. I'm currently building 2 408 Cu In stroked 360 Magnum engines for my boat.

Back