Logo

Need help

jbt68

Have a 1995 25 hp mercury. Have replaced switch box and stator. Will be run grate for about 2 miles then will just go dead, the stator will have gone bad, have replaced it two more times. NEED HELP i have done all i know, has to be something making it go out run to good when it run.

One ignition will have bullet connectors and a mechanical spark advance the stator will move when the throttle is moved. . The other ignition has a rod from the stator to the block and does not move

Post a picture of stator as I have never see a moveable one, trigger is different story. A stator can fail is if its not grounded or one/both of the outputs are bleeding together or if switchbox is not grounded.

Sounds like you have an electric start model and you have killed at least 2 (maybe 3) stators now.

Agree could be a ground issue - could also be a toasted rectifier.

Did you replace it at any point before/between toasted stators?

Did you check the voltage at the battery with motor running?

If your rectifier goes bad and remains un-replaced OR you run the motor with no battery connected/improperly connected, you will fry your stator in fairly short order.

After the initial replacement stator failed that should have told you that the failed stator was a "symptom" of the issue, not the solution.

According to parts manual battery charging is from a secondary stator, you can replace it with removing the ignition stator

It has the separate stators and rod moves trigger..Take a megger and test from the ground screw to stator bolt(see pic) and test from ground screw to main ground cable.

ground.jpg

I checked the grand like you said and all where good. The grand to the block, the grand to the stator, the trigger has no resistance. Have any more ideas?

Back