Logo

Oil Changes Made Easy

mikewojno

I have a couple of 305XL's (1996) in a houseboat that I just purchased. I need to change the oil as part of winter storage
maintaince. I know that the oil can be sucked out of the dip stick tube. My previous boat had a Cummins diesel engine with a
large(1/2in) diameter hose with a cap on one end and the other end was screwed into the oil pan as a replacement for the drain plug.
This hose was made from high pressure hydraulic fittings and hose.
Is there anything like this available for the Crusaders?

I went to hydraulic shop and had custom hoses made with one end fittings that replaced the oil pan drain plugs. The hoses , with lever action shut- offs, are routed from each engine to a single hose that goes up the transom in the engine room to a small 12V electric oil pump.

I merely put the pumps alligator clips to one of my batteries and can pump out which ever engine I want.

Easy to design, easy to install, and very functional. Had in my boat for over 10 years.

Actually sounds a lot like what you had before.

Really easy to use when the oil is warm/hot:rolleyes:

That's great IF you can get to the drain plug without pulling the motors!

If not, here's the rig I came up with: A (free if you ask for it) old propane tank with two openings. One goes to a vacuum source on ne engine, the other down the dipstick tube. Fire up the "vacuum pump" engine and suck out the oil--I takes less than a minute and, if you manipulate the tube about (and use clear tubing to see what's happening) get most of the old oil out. Then switch engines and do the other one. Best of all, that gallons of dirty oil is contained in the propane tank.

Jeff

PS: Got only one engine? Use a car or truck for the vacuum source.

Attachments

• oil-tank.jpg
    oil-tank.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 58
Jeff hinted at the smaller problem.....if you can get to one of the drain plugs, removing it to install the hose will be a big challenge....the few I've tried to remove were frozen in place....and with a cast pan, you need to be cautious.....don't hurt to try and, if it moves, then get the hose as Don suggests from a hydraulic shop...

Sounds like a lot of work to solve a simple problem. I learned on this site some years ago that the right answer is an oil extractor (I got mine from West Marine for around $75). Stick one of the small hoses down the dipstick tube, give a few pumps to create a vacuum in the container and watch to oil come out. Neat, no drips, and quick. I also use it to pull water out of crannies in the bilge.

Back