Logo

Oil for carbed '94 454's

Saltshaker

Contributing Member
Hi all, time to change the oils again. Just wanted to check, last year I used she'll rotella T 15/40 and plan to use it again. Thoughts, concerns? Engines ran great all summer. Thanks!

Probably a very good cost effective choice. I would look to see how much zinc is in that oil, to protect the exhaust valves.

1995 454xl's with 850hrs. I have been using Delo 400 40w for the last ten years. we boat in the Florida panhandle year round. No problem with engines as to the oil. L:eek:ts of other problems. I.E. risers, fuel lines, carbs, ect...)

I should have said " to protect the cam". Anyway, I don't think the Gen V did rollers. Neither did the VI. THey DID give you non-adjustable valve lash, courtesy of the shoulder bolts.

ps. Gen VI has roller lifters, but didn't appear until '96 ish.

Last edited:
I honk when I talked to crusader a few years ago they said I have Hydraulic valve lifters. Does that sound right? How would I know? Thx

ALL engines have them; it's important whether they are flat tappet or roller type.

When it doubt, use the Shell Rotella diesel oil and add a half bottle of Lucas ZDDP additive.

Jeff

Good question. Maybe you could track it down with the serial number, find out what part number the lifters are, then what type they are.

Or you could just assume they are flat tappets and lube accordingly. Wouldn't bother a thing that way.

Jeff

The serial number is the only way to be sure....the "year" of the engine is meaningless and on occasion will correlate to the HIN....
and Crusader used the flat tappets in the Gen V BBCs...

Last edited:
..."I hear the Shell Rotella has little or no zinc anymore "

Me too, that's why the Lucas ZDDP additive.

Jeff

I have started using Valvoline VR1-30w racing oil. Specifically designed for flat tappet engines under severe duty. I get it on Amazon but you probably order it from Napa also.

Back