Logo

Need Help/Info on a 1956 Spiegel Brooklure 300 (3 hp)

Dave1969

I must admit I don't know very much about outboard motors (or any motors for that matter) but I have undertaken a project that I am in dire hopes I can finish. My Father-in-law gave me an old Spiegel Brooklure 300. Some checking on line tells me that it is a 3 hp and a 1956 model I believe (I may have to re-check on the year) but I know its in the 50's. I also discovered that Brooklure is a Gale motor. I have a long way to go with it and I am sure I'll have lots of questions. Let me just say God bless all who take the time to pass on some knowledge. My question for this post is: Does this motor have a water pump? I took the lower unit off (and had a dickens of a time getting it back on) to check the impeller. I found no impeller housing at all. It only has one drive rod going up the column, no tubes or anything else. If there is no water pump how does water get into the power head? It is water cooled. It has the water circulation chamber, (for lack of the proper term), around the spark plug hole. When I removed the lower unit, the power head slid out of the transom mount. The power head has a Large metal tube that slides through the transom mount and then the lower unit slides over it and two screws holds it all together. The drive rod goes into the power head through this tube. There was two rubber bushing/bands around this tube. I suppose they are to take up play so the unit will turn smooth without being slappy. I hope I have given enough info without being too long winded. I appreciate any and all help anyone cares to share. God Bless. Dave.

Looking on this chart, My motor is a 1950. One prob though. The motor listed with my model and serial numbers shows it's a 3 hp ok but it says it's a 2 cylinder. My motor is just a one cylinder.

Interesting read. Thanks. Still wondering though, Does My 1950 3hp have a water pump? If not how does it take water into the power head? I don't want to burn it up when I get it running. Thanks again. Dave

Yep that is exactly what it looks like. Are the parts hard to find? expensive? Hard to install? Any secret tips?
Hello I have a Brooklure 300 for parts I to have just gotten this however I am not going to try to refurbish. Do not know where you are located I’m in south Florida 561-903-5238

Back