Logo

Coil Question

Smokinal

So my 96 Nitro with a 75hp Merc started dropping a cylinder when I would go to get on pad. If I backed off the gas it would start to hit on all 3 again but as soon as I started to get into higher RPM, 1 cylinder would cut out completely. So today I took it out, ran it until it dropped a cyl, shut it off, pulled the plugs, found 1 dry and 2 wet so I swapped the coil from the dry cyl with 1 from a wet cyl; fired it up and ran it up and down the lake over and over again and it wouldn't cut out.
My take on it is that I had a bad connection/ground somewhere that got fixed when I disturbed it. So when I got home, I took it all back apart to clean everything up and put it back together.
Here's my question=I noticed a lot of black grease on the thin silver ground tab on top of the coils. I cleaned all this off and put it together clean and dry. Now I'm wondering if I should have put dielectric grease there. I just felt like that thick grease may have been a barrier causing a bad coil ground. Am I OK with these tabs dry or do I need to go back in there and put grease on those tabs?
Always freshwater only if that matters.

If it has plug in connections that's a CDM module not a coil. Download the CDI testing manual and check em...

There were no plug in connections; definitely the 3 blue coils that the spark plug wires go into. My question is whether or not I need dielectric grease on the thin, silver ground tabs that go from the negative terminal on the coil to the body of the coil.

Back