Logo

OMC Newbee Novice in boat repair Car builder with old boat

rantangdon

My name is RantangDon,
I just recently brought home a Boat and Trailer with Motor and Stern Drive. Although I have been building Hot Rods and Restomods as well as NHRA race cars I am not familiar with the workings of the Marine World Works. My situation is that the GM v-6 in the boat does not rotate either by starter or by hand. I pulled the plugs out to see if there were any indication of water or rust in or on the plugs. They were clear and appeared to have burned clean the last time it ran which I am piecing together with the last time the boat was registered in 2011. The boat sat for several years with neglect. I filled each cylinder with marvel mystery oil. I plan to let it set for a few days to see if that might free the rings. After doing that I decided to hook up a battery via jumping from my car to the boat and see if the stern drive would go down. I heard the motor wind the drive down. It stopped. When I pressed the up button on the throttle handle I could hear the motor wind but no sound like the starter solenoid engage. Just sounds like a bad starter solenoid. I tried this several times and no luck. Any one have any Ideas? Also I located a toggle switch at the top of the intake manifold to the left rear of the engine. It is hooked to the motor that elevates the stern drive. I pulled the toggle switch back towards me and there is no power to the motor. Is that normal ? I have been reading a lot of different stories about the 1985 OMC 800 Some good some bad. I know that what ever is seized up in the block I can repair. I just don't want to do it twice. I like to do it right the first time. Thanks for Looking at my problem any suggestions other than get a Mercruiser instead would be appreciated.

I know that what ever is seized up in the block I can repair.

Ayuh,.... Most of the drive turns with the crankshaft by solid coupler,....

It may well be the drive, not the motor that's seized,...

Thanks for the input. I will try both answers. I was thinking that the drive might have something to do with the engine not turning once I saw that when the starter engaged to the flywheel the crank pulley moved clockwise about a quarter of an inch then stopped and fell back to the original position.
The second piece of advice I will try with a jumper as you stated If it works it is an inexpensive replacement part.
Thanks again
Kimcrwbr1

Thank You Bondo
How do I go about disconnecting the solid coupler?
Rantang

Ayuh,... It's splined, hopefully not rusted solid,....

Some were flex-plate couplers, others round rubber donut couplers, but both are splined, 'tween the crank shaft, 'n drive shaft,...

I took your advice. The jumper worked. I now have the out drive in the up position.
Again, thanks for the advice. It is always good to have someone with knowledge and experience to coach a novice.
Great to be on this Forum.
Rantangdon

Back