Logo

Glastron 205 GT no speed indication

hytron

Hi everyone! I bought a 2011 Glastron 205 GT, but the speedometer does not work. When we took it for a test drive, the gauge just went up a bit (not even 5mph), but that was it. How is this gauge getting the information? Is there an inductive paddle sensor on the back (electronic gauge)? Is it mechanical? I havent taken anything apart yet but any clues where to look for problems would be appreciated! Does anyone know???

Thank you for the reply! Where should I look for the tube? Somewhere on the stern? Is it mounted on the stern-drive?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... The pitot is at the stern, probably on the leadin' edge of the drive, but ya ain't said what motor, 'n drive ya got,....

If it is an alpha outdrive you need to raise the drive, look towards the front of it. There will be a small rubber hose connected about in the middle (from top to bottom). Make sure it is connected.

then look near the bottom (front side still of outdrive) and run your finger over the edge......there will be a small hole about the size of a wooden match stick and this is where the water goes in and forces the air/water in the line towards the gage.

once you find all of this and make sure the hose is connected and the hole is not plugged up follow the hose on the inside of the boat and see if it is pinched anywhere along its routing............sometimes it gets pinched when someone does work on cables, wiring, steering cables and reinstalls new cable ties.... also look at the back of the gage...make sure the hose is connected........

if all is good remove hose from back of gage and blow into it and have someone see if they can feel the air at the outdrive hole.......

See the parts structure in the link.....see where # 1 is pointing.....the speedo hole is just below that on that edge of the drive.........

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/m...usa/gear-housing-driveshaft-standard-rotation

report back

It is a 4.3L Mercruiser carbureted engine. I am not sure about the drive, I have been a long time jetski rider/mechanical and electronic repair person but don't know much about bigger boats. I will take a look at it, and take it out on the lake today. Will report back what I find! Thank you for the quick posts guys!!!

Last edited:
because it is a 2011 most likely it is where I said it is.........it is the same for all Alpha 1 Gen II which have been used since 1990.

Although some boats will use a Pitot tube but not many anymore

I apologize it took me this long for a reply. It is a gen 1 Alpha so I looked at the little black hose that connects in the middle of the stern drive. Sure enough it was disconnected. I cleaned it and reconnected it and the speedometer is working fine now! Thank you much for your help!!!!

Back