Logo

Motor Choice on New Used Boat

druthomas

Hey guys just wanting a little perspective or validation if possible. I am looking at a few late 80s early 90s 18' bass boats. Most of them have same era 150 fast strikes and what not but one of them has a 2002 Evinrude 135 V6. My thinking is the newer 135 wont be much less power and should be better on gas and oil and 12 years newer is always good to. Just wondering if there would be any reason to go with the older 150s vs the newer 135.

Id be willing to bet that newer 135 pushes is just as fast as the old 150's. IM sure its lighter. But also depends on the weight of the boat its pushing too. Its a hard call not knowing the condition and how the motors were taken care of. The down side is I would think parts would be way more expensive than an 80's model. Yeah..that was no help whatsoever...

Often the newer motors are heavier.---------And cost of ownership is the key.----Newer motors sometimes must be dealer serviced at some big $$$$ rates.

I think the 135 is the same motor as the 150/175 just detuned so it probably is heavy for a 135. It just seems to me you have to be really careful when buying a 15-20 year old 150.

Do your homework on a 2002 135 Evinrude.---Talk to your local shops before spending hard earned $$$$ on one of those.

I plan to talk to my local repair guys. It seems like a good motor and the dealer offers a 30 day warranty. I can put a fair amount of hours on in that time. I cant imagine a major problem could hide for that long.

Back