Logo

Water in oil pan

SJHIll

My Chrysler 440 is getting water in the oil. It has internal cooling also but appears to be fresh water. Any ideas on where to start to find out how it is getting in? The exaust manifold on the port side of the port side engine appears to have a crack that has been repaired before. I have new intake manifold on the engine. This appears to not have been an issue until i put a new impeller in the fresh pump. That is when i found the cracks in the v drive which is out getting repaired also

Leaking exhaust can put water into the exhaust port which can then slip by the rings and get in the oil pan. Looks like you need to do some new exhaust parts changing.

Jeff

I had also been told that the oil cooler is using the fresh water. Any chance that this could be the problem? I know that this would be an easier fix than the exaust manifold.

Its a possibility that the oil cooler is leaking, you can remove it and have it pressure tested at a radiator shop. If it is the exhaust manifolds, contact 510mopar on the boards here, he made himself a slick set of adapters to run Small Block Chevy marine manifolds on his 440. He might be able to get a set for you, that way you can get newer style better flowing manifolds cheaper than the stock replacements, and make more power while you are at it. Seeing as how a 440 does not have oil or water passages in the intake manifold there is no chance for that to be the issue, it could be a cracked head or cylinder block, but I'm sure you do not want to hear that ...

Back