Logo

2004 Honda 225hp Leaking Oil when trimmed tilted up

Seachaser

Regular Contributor
Now I have the oil leaking when the motor is trimmed up. I had to remove the lower section anyway, for the common mid-shaft failure.

Looks like the motor has to be pulled? I think this is outside of my skill set.

IMG_20150928_105109b.JPG

IMG_20150928_122139.jpgIMG_20150928_122253.jpgIMG_20150928_122242.jpgIMG_20150928_122217.jpgIMG_20150928_121449.jpg

Last edited:
Re: 2001 Honda 225hp Leaking Oil when trimmed tilted up

One possibility - check the seal around the oil filter. When the filter seal leaks just a little, the oil will pool up on the plate under it, out of sight, and will then show up when the motor is tilted up. This also happens after an oil/filter change.

Next thing to check is the seal around the oil pan.

I can no longer make any edits to the main title
So san one of the thread Monitors please change the title to say 2004 instead of 2001.

If oil is leaking from mount bolt,when engine is trimmed up. it could be engine under case mount bolt cover corroded or gasket damage. that is the only one reason to leak oil from that place where you were shown.if it is confirm oil leak from their you have to lift up the engine and get repair.

wajira

Does anyone have an idea what this would cost labor wise? I know it varies just looking for ballpark figure. My local Honda dealer in the past has been on the high side "cost wise" on any jobs.

Last edited:
I want to close the loop on my issue:

My local service person told me to leave it in the trimmed down position for the season and address it in the off season. But the situation got worst and it leaked in any position. And he did not have the resources to fix it himself, I ultimately had to go out of state.

Update: The root cause of the problem was determined to be a leak in the Case Mount 23170-ZY3-030ZA assy. I was told its a combination of corrosion and damage. I think it got damaged when I replaced the water pump. But probably would have been OK if it wasn't corroded/compromised in the first place. The total bill estimate will be ~$2,100, labor $900 and $1,200 in total parts. The case mount itself will cost $740, dealer cost.

Due to the fact that the power-head had to be pulled I was reluctant to attempt this fix myself.

The main part (case Mount) wont be in until next Wednesday, back ordered from honda.

PS: The main title thread should Read "2004" instead of 2001. I can't correct it, can a thread monitor fix that?

Last edited:

Sorry to hear that. Seems like this would be a good time to also change out the old exhaust tubes IAW Honda Service Bulletin # 56 if it has not already been done. The kit is only about $110 on Boats.Net the last time I looked. If you need a copy of the SB, send me an e-mail at [email protected].

Re: 2004 Honda 225hp Leaking Oil when trimmed tilted up

Chawk_man thanks for looking out for me. But I already updated the SB#56 exhaust tubes and vertical shaft bearing along with the broken extension case etc. during the off-season. I did it myself.

Sorry to hear that. Seems like this would be a good time to also change out the old exhaust tubes IAW Honda Service Bulletin # 56 if it has not already been done. The kit is only about $110 on Boats.Net the last time I looked. If you need a copy of the SB, send me an e-mail at [email protected].

My update2:

The toll so far: Labor $2,232 and Parts $1,323 and freight $21.57 = total $3,576.57

Major parts replaced were the Case mount @$526, Ex. guide seals X4 @ $99 ea, Oil/Water Seals, in addition to misc. gaskets, bolts, o-rings, etc. etc. I think they charged me for the toilet paper too.

Now 2 weeks later and the oil is leaking from a new place, the Shift shaft Seal! They probably damaged it putting the lower unit back in. I'll be calling on Tuesday after labor day.

I want to close the loop on my issue:

Update: The root cause of the problem was determined to be a leak in the Case Mount 23170-ZY3-030ZA assy. I was told its a combination of corrosion and damage. I think it got damaged when I replaced the water pump. But probably would have been OK if it wasn't corroded/compromised in the first place. The total bill "Estimate" will be ~$2,100 total, labor $900 and $1,200 in total parts.

PS: The main title thread should Read "2004" instead of 2001. I can't correct it, can a thread monitor fix that?

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully that shop will make good on correcting their screw-up.

Ok The shop tech came down and replaced the damaged shift seal see pics

IMG_20160908_104651 reducedb.JPGIMG_20160908_104453reducedb.JPG

No more oil leak, but now my batteries are not charging, the tech had to move around the cabling, I'm thinking he did something...

I called Honda shop will not be operating till Monday. Lost a charter already I'm hoping I can fix it before then.

I will create a new thread, going to need some help troubleshooting it.

Last edited:

First check the big 150 amp ACG fuse. It looks like they had to remove that to get to the shift shaft seal. The cover just flips off. It will be obvious if it's blown. Also check the connection where the alternator wire fits to that fuse holder.

If my memory is still good, I think you have the Helm shop manual. If so, look at the bottom of page 17-22 for the testing protocol

Thanks Chawk, I have the manual and will check that out
Hey Seachaser, I have the same motor with the same leaking oil spot . Could you please send me a contact info so I could ask a bunch of questions? I just bought this motor off a used outboard dealer in Stuart. It was supposed to be good, it runs good but leaks in the same place as yours. Great post!

Where did you take the motor to be fixed?
Would you do the repair again knowing what you now know? (I have some shop experience but not sure how deep of a job I want to go here.)
Do you know if any special tools were needed?
What parts did you replace in total? Have part numbers?
How many hours did the shop bill you for?
What would you change if you were to do this again?

Please e-mail or reply, Many thanks in advance!!!

Respectfully, Fleatools...

I wish that I would have repowered, if you have the time and can do the job yourself maybe worth it. I paid to have it done, they kept finding parts that needed replacement, it was a moving Target. Then the completion date was a moving Target. Re my prior post for cost. That's enough for now I needed to get ready for Superbowl game!

Hey Seachaser, I have the same ßmotor with the same leaking oil spot . Could you please send me a contact info so I could ask a bunch of questions? I just bought this motor off a used outboard dealer in Stuart. It was supposed to be gofod, it runs good but leaks in the same place as yours. Great post!

Where did you take the motor to be fixed?
Would you do the repair again knowing what you now know? (I have some shop experience but not sure how deep of a job I want to go here.)
Do you know if any special tools were needed?
What parts did you replace in total? Have part numbers?
How many hours did the shop bill you for?
What would you change if you were to do this again?

Please e-mail or reply, Many thanks in advance!!!

Respectfully, Fleatools...

Back