Logo

Adjusting Points

earlbuddy

Regular Contributor
Timing mark on the flywheel is aligned and timing marks on distributor pulley and bracket are aligned. I have a question about the pointers I have an arrow drawn to in this picture. Are they suppose to be aligned also to set the points?
Timing.jpg

I found both timing marks on the pulley. Just wanted to know what these are for? My shop manual doesn't mention then.
Thanks

I would have to dust off my memory on those pointers. But safe to say they have absolutely nothing to do with setting the points. Not for belt timing either. Possibly something with link & sync, I just don't remember. What is the year/model you are working on?

??/-------Have not worked on one in years.---See if that position is for using a rope to start it.---------And yes a healthy individual can start one with a rope.-------Bin there done that on a 100 hp model like yours when starter was off for repairs one weekend.

I'm pretty sure my timing belt jumped a couple of notches. We were pulling a tube and when I was throttling down it shut down kind of hard. After that would run ok slow but when giving gas would act like it wanted to accelerate then it would cut back. The belt seemed loose too. I've lined up the the timing marks on the flywheel and ring gear cover. My question is lining up the marks on the pulley and breaker plate. I've loosened the distributor bracket to release the belt tension. I want to make sure I'm doing this right. I align the mark on the pulley and the breaker plate, then tighten the belt. When Adjusting the points do the marks need to be aligned as shown in the picture? Thanks
Pulley Timing Marks.jpg

Ok. I guess I'm still confused when you put the belt on the pulley where do you position the breaker plate to line the marks up. The breaker plate rotates so if you go from one side to the other it changes how the pulley is positioned

You use the timing marks to set the points on these.------Oh so easy and the correct way to do it !!!!!!-----------This just is not the same as the universal magneto either.

ok, enough of this confusion. First question/answer: To set the points you can do it with a feeler gauge by setting them to open .020" at their widest opening. OR you can do it correctly by adjusting them to just barely start to break when the pulley is aligned with the mark on your picture. There is a second mark for the other set of points.-----Belt timing question/answer: Look at your picture of the belt pulley. See that line cast into the mounting bracket, right above your yellow arrow? That is the belt timing mark. Align mark on pulley with that mark (flywheel also aligned with it's mark) and slip the belt on. Simple.

Last edited:
Thanks fdrgator for the clarification. I wondered what that line was for. I'm assuming then you use the two marks on the distributor pulley to set the points?

Just to clairfy. In this picture there are 3 marks. One on the distributor bracket, one one the breaker plate, and one on the pulley. Do all three need to be in line to set points? Thanks
Timing Mark Alignment.jpg

Thanks for posting this earlbuddy. I have the same questions. There are some very knowable guys on here. I thank you in advance for helping me and earlbuddy.

Back