Logo

8hp Mariner model year?

You have a Yamaha built Mariner.

Merc contracted the building of these from Yamaha. Yamaha used 100% Yami parts and designs and simply dressed them as Mariners for Merc. They were "mechanically" a Yamaha model, usually discontinued, by the time the Mariner came to market.

Your particular model was built in 1983, the last year of the model run for that 8 horse model.

Your run of numbers break down as follows:

8M - obvious - an 8 horsepower with M representing a "manual" (or rope) start - so was not an electric start from factory

677 - is a Yamaha model code indicating that this is a clone of a 1977 model 8B Yamaha outboard

S - short shaft - designed for a 15" transom

052553 - the (actual) serial number indicating it came off the production line in 1983.

So mechanically a 1977 model but marketed as a 1983 Mariner. That doesn't mean "inferior", just was no where near "leading edge", so it sold as a discount motor compared with either an 83 Mercury or Yamaha outboard.

In 1984 the model changed and was then based on the (newer) Yamaha model 8C.

Merc lists this model as an 8B Mariner. Many parts are mostly discontinued and very scarce. However, depending on the model of the carb on your motor you may be able to get a kit for it (early carbs on this model have zero parts support). Parts for the water pump are generally available and likewise, the ignition components still can be found but they are very expensive (you might spend twice what the motor would be worth by simply replacing an ignition coil).

Hi Graham, I too have just acquired an old motor, Mariner 8 serial 677 352170
I purchased an old Coronet 20 Trailer-sailer as a restoration project and the motor came along with the deal.
I cannot find any suitable owner manual online and want to take the top cover off, check and change as necessary plugs, filters etc. but cannot take the cover off.

I have managed to unclip the cover at the throttle end but thought that it would come off from the prop end to get past the pull start handle. ? Don't want to force and I know I'll get there but maybe you can direct me to where I can find the appropriate owner/ tech manual ?

Any help is appreciated, in advance.

Dennis

Hi Graham, I too have just acquired an old motor, Mariner 8 serial 677 352170
I purchased an old Coronet 20 Trailer-sailer as a restoration project and the motor came along with the deal.
I cannot find any suitable owner manual online and want to take the top cover off, check and change as necessary plugs, filters etc. but cannot take the cover off.

I have managed to unclip the cover at the throttle end but thought that it would come off from the prop end to get past the pull start handle. ? Don't want to force and I know I'll get there but maybe you can direct me to where I can find the appropriate owner/ tech manual ?

Any help is appreciated, in advance.

Dennis
Looks like your 8 ML serial number is within serial number range 677-352106 - 677-367080 which makes it an 1981 engine year.

The OEM service manual part number would be 90-14679 that fits 8B (677)/W8 (677)/Marathon 8 (677) 9.9C (682)/15C (684)
(I) All serial number ranges.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Looks like your 8 ML serial number is within serial number range 677-352106 - 677-367080 which makes it an 1981 engine year.

The OEM service manual part number would be 90-14679 that fits 8B (677)/W8 (677)/Marathon 8 (677) 9.9C (682)/15C (684)
(I) All serial number ranges.

Hope this helps, good luck.[/You are 'the man'
, thanks. Now I need to find a service manual. :) ]

Please help me identify the year of my Mariner 8 hp longshaft. Is there an owner/service manual available? Thank you.

8ML 6G1 L 514522

Are you sure the last part is 514522 and not 314522?

The serials starting with "5" were used on Electric Start (from factory) long shaft motors and they didn't make any in this model run. Those starting with "3" would be a manual longshaft which is otherwise indicated in your number:

8 - horsepower
M - manual (rope start)
L - longshaft

6G1 - Yamaha identifier making it "mechanically" a 1982 C model Yamaha

L - reiterates it's a longshaft (20" transom)

514522 (again suspect 314522) would make it a 1985 Mariner "C" model (last year of production was 1986 and Yamaha only made their own C model for a single year, 1982, so has been orphaned for a while).

Back