Logo

Battery charging system question

Paul O

I have a 1987 200 hp Mariner outboard. Typically the battery meter reads between 12 and 14 v when underway. Recently it goes up to 16 v almost immediately. My question is, is this a problem? Can I be overcharging my batteries (I've got 2 of them.)?

Most likely situation is that one of your batteries is run down or dead and the regulator is putting out max voltage to try to charge it. How old are the batteries. Marine batteries should normally be replaced every four or five years.

CHawk,
Thanks for the reply. The batteries are only a year old. I have a meter that came with my electric trolling motor and it is showing them less than full charge though, which is a bit suspicious. I guess I'll hook up a shop battery charger and see how they accept the charge. If they appear fully charged I'll fire up the motor and see if things look the same.

A single weak or bad cell in a battery will cause problems like you described. If this is not a sealed battery, check the level of electrolyte in each of the cells. Top off, then charge it completely.

Back