Logo

Auxiliary engine advice please

eddio

At long last my 1996 Maxum 19' bowrider with the 4.3 Mercruiser engine is going like a train! Total joy! Before long it is time to venture out to sea, but the strong tides of the Bristol Channel mean engine failure would be potentially serious. I would like to fit a small auxiliary outboard. Does anyone have experience of fitting this to the stern swim platform? What size engine would be adequate to keep the boat running against a tide? My own thoughts are that a small light engine would be fine if left in place (tilted) all the time, and not requiring a separate fuel tank. Something like a 2 - 4hp two stroke mounted on a wood reinforced engine mount, with just the simple engine tiller and controls, seems the best. I am not sure how to fix the mount bracket yet. Opinions and experience of members who have tried this would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Eddio

If your boat has a swim platform, mounting anything larger than that could be a problem. Such a small an engine would barely make headway against a strong head sea unless it was propped for a heavy boat, but movement is movement!

Jeff

PS: Why not a 4 stroke OB? You can use the same gas tank (with a Tee in the gas lines).

Back