Logo

Diesel in Your Gasoline

CharlieCharlie

I operate 20 Yamaha outboards. 5of them are 2005 F30ELHD (Carbureted) and 15 are 2011 F40LEHA(Injected). These are mounted
on the back of 17' Boston Whalers. They operate for out 2 hours aday at full throttle and 10 to 12 hours a day at trolling speeds (lowidle). These motors are operated for two months (July and August) andthen shipped to our maintenance facility to be thoroughly serviced and storedfor 9 months. The very first day of our season this year the boatsstarted going out fishing. With in a short period of time we were gettingreports of motor problems. Some needed to be towed back and somelimped in on there own. Checking things out we found that the engineswere making oil an had a fuel odor about it and it appeared that the pee steamwas excessive. Two days before operations started we were fueled with7,000 liters of gas tainted with diesel. Probably about a 60/40 to70/30 mixture diesel favoring the high side. We had some clean gason hand and borrowed some from neighbors and started mixing good withbad trying to get the motors to run better. We ran themotors for about three weeks like this. We were pumping out the oiland putting back in about a liter and a half leaving it a littlelow for room for the bad fuel. The oil changes were occurring 2 to 3 timesa day per motor. Our docks looked like a Nascar Pit stop. We did notchange the filters. Three weeks later the fuel barge arrived pumped outthe bad fuel and filled us with clean gasoline. I might add that this isEthanol free fuel. After running clean fuel the motors startedrunning better but not at a 100%. Some were still making oil and notdeveloping full power.

Now that the motors are going to be put to rest for 9 to 10 monthswhat I do with them? What is the long term damage? Howreliable are they gong to be next season? What is the trade invalue? Is this classified as damage history?

Here is my first quote. 20 new F40LEHA @ $5,967.00each Totaling $119,340.00 with a trade in value on old motors of $1,850.00per motor Totaling $37,000.00. Balance of $82,340.00. 30%deposit ($24,702.00) financing $57,638.00. $5,0000 interest over 2years

Or do I send them in and spend up to $1,850.00 per motor to have them repaired and gamble that that it might cost less.

Hoping insurance kicks in and covers a good portion of this.

Anybody who has experienced Diesel in their Gasoline or whatever feel free too comment

CharlieCharlie

My experience with diesel in gasoline is that it is not a game changer. As the ratio of diesel to gasoline increases, eventually the cylinder will not fire.

I would suggest doing a compression test on several of the motors and compare the results. Check against specs for the engine. The pull the cylinder heads and inspect the valves and tops of the pistons. There might be diesel residue remaining.

It is also possible that diesel oil residue has caused the rings to become stuck.

The compression test might give you a clue as to how to proceed. Hope it works out well.

lander12;

sorry for the slow reply. I just got back from getting all 20 motors to our shop for repairs. I think you are correct in doing a full inspection of he engines. I like you feel that a compression and/or leak down test will give us some good information.

Yamaha has supplied us with their product "Ring Free Plus". Suppose to free up sticky rings, valves an help deglaze the cylinders.

Will keep you informed as to what we find.

Charliecharlie

My experience with diesel in gasoline is that it is not a game changer. As the ratio of diesel to gasoline increases, eventually the cylinder will not fire.

I would suggest doing a compression test on several of the motors and compare the results. Check against specs for the engine. The pull the cylinder heads and inspect the valves and tops of the pistons. There might be diesel residue remaining.

It is also possible that diesel oil residue has caused the rings to become stuck.

The compression test might give you a clue as to how to proceed. Hope it works out well.

lander12;

sorry for the slow reply. I just got back from getting all 20 motors to our shop for repairs. I think you are correct in doing a full inspection of he engines. I like you feel that a compression and/or leak down test will give us some good information.

Yamaha has supplied us with their product "Ring Free Plus". Suppose to free up sticky rings, valves an help deglaze the cylinders.

Will keep you informed as to what we find.

Charliecharlie

I think that you will be OK when the smoke clears- please pardon the pun. I frequently run a small amount of diesel oil in my fuel in 4 stroke engines- lubricates the upper cylinder area.

Their fuel came in by barge- the fuel company probably delivered diesel to a customer and then used the same barge to deliver gasoline.

Hi Kimcrwbr1:

Thank you for you reply. Stay tuned in. I will keep you informed. No one got hurt. I made the decision. Everyone had a great fishing experience. You have to know little more about our remoteness before you can pass judgment. We are kind of new at this. next year will be our
47th year in business. But it was our first year of bad fuel. There is always a new adventure to deal with. oh yeah I forgot There were no bucks saved not even two.

Once again thank you for your reply

Back