Logo

Prop Seal Question 92 Mariner 8hp

cmdworker

Hi, I lost a lot of lower unit oil from the prop exhaust, am I correct in assuming I would just need to replace the prop shaft seal? I do have the repair manual(I attached the lower unit diagram to this thread), and it looks like the seal(23) is in the bearing carrier(20). If I just need to replace the prop seal, is the bearing carrier as far as I need to go in removing parts? Also, was planning on replacing the o-ring(21), and bushing(22). Anything else I should know before tackling? Thanks very much!

Attachments

• Mariner.pdf
    24.9 KB · Views: 53
I hope you haven't given up on the forum because no one has answered you for a few days - I was away or at least I would have responded - anyhow...

Yes, you shouldn't need to go any further than the bearing carrier. The carrier itself can be a bit of a "booger" to get out. Merc, in their infinite wisdom threaded the thing so it screws into the case.

You mention you have a manual, just keep in mind that the bearing carrier has a "Left-Hand" thread on it. When frustrated trying to remove one that has seized in, first nature may get you trying to turn it in the wrong direction.

In any event, when you get the carrier out, then your (feeling) on what to replace is in line with what I would change as well. Obviously the seal (23) because that's what you suspect is the issue and I would minimally replace the o-ring.

Do add some lube around the o-ring before you put things back together. Merc calls for 2-4-C, which is their own Teflon based grease, but in reality, any decent bearing grease would work fine - I tend to use high speed wheel bearing grease (from a discount auto place) for all my marine seal needs.

The only real problem you may have is initially getting the bearing carrier to move - they kinda weld themselves in over the years - otherwise, it's a fairly simple - straight forward process to change the seal and the o-ring.

It is also the perfect opportunity to get a look at the guts while you are there and a great time to swap out the clutch dog (one of the common failure pieces), if it looks suspect at all.

Thanks sir! That's VERY good to know that bearing carrier is reversed threaded! I can imagine the colorful language used trying to get that had you not mentioned it.

Last edited:
galamb-Thanks again so much for the "left hand thread" warning. I went back and looked at the disassembly instructions in the manual, and it doesn't mention it. It does however have a picture of the socket, on the bearing carrier, with an small arrow indicating clockwise. There was nothing in the text that mentioned it. I would have missed that so easily had you not mentioned. You da man!

Back