Logo

1992 Mercury XR6 150 starting issues

Jonathan42

Howdy. I have a 1992 Mercury XR6 150. My problem is that my motor will not start back up after it has been running a while and has warmed up. It will start up just fine first thing in the morning, but after I make a long run to a fishing spot and kill motor and try to start back up to move the motor will act like the starter is disengaging to fast. I have made sure I have spark, compression. Don't exactly know how to tell if I have fuel there but I know that the fuel pump is working. I have ohm the coils, stator, and trigger and all have checked fine. I have replaced starter thinking that was the problem and still no luck. Really could use some insight because I'm at my ends with this motor.

i haven't checked the ignition timing but I made sure that the markings on the flywheel was correct by putting it TDC. I would need a timing light to check the ignition timing?

i haven't checked the ignition timing but I made sure that the markings on the flywheel was correct by putting it TDC. I would need a timing light to check the ignition timing?

yes you would need a timing light. the timing mark you are talking about is for setting tdc mark with engine off. then you set actual engine timing according to your manufacturer recommendations. your best bet is to get a shop repair manual for your engine. all the information is in there.. well worth the money.

Finally got around to checking the ignition timing and everything checks out to be good. While checking the timing, I did notice that the spark plugs looked like they have been burnt. Thought I might have gotten somewhere with the ignition timing but now I'm back at square one.

Oil injection was removed before I bought the boat. How would I go about checking water pump? And I checked ignition timing once again and every now and then it would seem like the #1 cylinder was "double firing." If that makes sense. It could have been that it was getting the spark from the #3 cylinder. Would it hurt the ignition system to remove all spark plug wires other than the #1 cylinder plug wire to be able to verify that it's firing correctly?

Howdy. I have a 1992 Mercury XR6 150. My problem is that my motor will not start back up after it has been running a while and has warmed up. It will start up just fine first thing in the morning, but after I make a long run to a fishing spot and kill motor and try to start back up to move the motor will act like the starter is disengaging to fast. I have made sure I have spark, compression. Don't exactly know how to tell if I have fuel there but I know that the fuel pump is working. I have ohm the coils, stator, and trigger and all have checked fine. I have replaced starter thinking that was the problem and still no luck. Really could use some insight because I'm at my ends with this motor.

Any luck figuring this out? I have the same motor and am having the exact same issues.

Back