Logo

Mayfair Livewell Pump Removal

Ron Galloway

I have a 1994 Ranger 375V that I need to replace a livewell pump in. While I am in there, I plan to go ahead and replace the other two pumps (another livewell pump and a bilge pump). The pumps that are in there are the Mayfair 23501 and 22101. The pumps have "lock" (turn counter clockwise) and "unlock" (turn clockwise) cast into the flange of the yellow pump housing. I cannot figure out how to get these to turn. Can any one tell me how to remove these? I have attached two pictures of the installed pumps.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0615.jpg
    IMG_0615.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 259
If they are the 'cartridge style', they have 'tabs' that are lifted and then the motor portion is twisted (CW) to remove it from the housing....I can't tell from the pics if those are that type...you could likely call SPX (johnson) and get their tech support dept to send you the install sheet as well as suggest the proper replacement cartridge replacement (if needed)....an alternative would be ranger.

1 847 671 7867 (SPX) (870) 453-2222 (ranger)

Makomark, they are not cartridge style, but they do come apart somehow. I called Ranger and they told me I had the cartridge style in my boat and sent me Johnson Cartridges for the three pumps. These are not correct. I called them again today and now they are sending me Rule pumps, which I also think will not fit my application without a major plumbing overhaul. I would like to replace these three pumps with cartridge style pumps, but don't know where to get them. It seems that no one at Ranger really knows what is going on. One guy is trying to help me, but no one in the technical department will even return a call (I have tried 3 times now). Quite unlike Ranger of old. If I live long enough to need another boat, I doubt that is will be another Ranger. Thanks for your response. Every bit of info helps.
Ron

Bummer to hear Ranger's support dept has gone downhill.....

You can buy cartridge pumps anywhere you can get bass boat stuff....even from amazon...

As Bondo said on the other site, the four black tabs look like the normal retainer mechanism to separate the motor from the housing. also, looks like a pro-line style motor housing, so that may be another piece of the puzzle.

finally, from what I can see in the pics, looks like you'll need a "two port" pump as they appear to be installed "in-line".....call SPX (aka Johnson) and explain what you have and what you want to do....I'd bet they can tell you what's in their product line....only takes your time.

Bummer to hear Ranger's support dept has gone downhill.....

You can buy cartridge pumps anywhere you can get bass boat stuff....even from amazon...

As Bondo said on the other site, the four black tabs look like the normal retainer mechanism to separate the motor from the housing. also, looks like a pro-line style motor housing, so that may be another piece of the puzzle.

finally, from what I can see in the pics, looks like you'll need a "two port" pump as they appear to be installed "in-line".....call SPX (aka Johnson) and explain what you have and what you want to do....I'd bet they can tell you what's in their product line....only takes your time.

Ranger finally came through. I have a tech contact now to work with. They are sending me Rule cartridge pumps and will talk me through installing them and the new livewell shut off valves i went ahead and ordered. Figured I might as well replace them while I am down in the bottom of the boat working.
Thanks for all the info!

Back