Logo

Fuel water seperator

Chalkley

S I have an inboard 2.3l ford and runs like a kitten. No problems for the year. I was running it today and abruptly stopped for about 15 minutes. After I finished what I was doing I restarted the motor and ran fine for a few seconds and died. No fuel going into the carb. The speratot was full of water. Mind you the gas was an hour old and last tank was 2 weeks prior. How did water get into the seperator. After a tow and trip home I emptied the seperator and filled it was gas and all was well from that point on. How in the world did my filter fill with water?

could have been a bad load of fuel.....or your filler cap o-ring is leaking....ps better to have the water in the separator than to have it in the carb....always good to have a spare or two on board.

filler cap I had not thought of. I will check it. Problem with replacing them it take 736373889393874 cranks of the throttle to refill the filter up or the boat won't start. Once I filled the seperator with gas started right up. May treat the gas

The boat has been run on the lake every week since April so gas never sits in it long in any amount. The seperator was changed in late March early April

you can 'pre-fill' the new filter with fresh clean fuel and eliminate the 736 trillion cranks.....a bit of a pain but an option...

I put some fuel stabilizer high in isopropyl in it today. There is 3/4 tank of new gas. I flushed the seperator so hopefully be ok in the future. Problem is even if I flush it on the lake, I have to have gas for the seperator so may keep tools in case I need to loosen a fuel line to fill the seperator

I flushed the seperator so hopefully be ok in the future.

Ayuh,.... Flushin' a fuel filter just puts the crud on the wrong side of the filter media, 'n allows it to pass into the carb,....

Filters should be Replaced,..... Not reused,....

Back