Logo

Mercury 90HP 2-Stroke In-Line 6 Water Problems Please Help

Barry Prior

I am a car mechanic for 25 Yrs so have great mechanical skills but only on 4-Stroke. Never toutched a 2-Stroke EVER.

Got the engine running good now thanksto you guy on here with nice and low idle but now have another problem

I have a problem with the Tell Tail not producing enough water. I have stripped the pump section and found the rubber impeller to be knackered/faulty. Great I thought....... but when cleaning out the water ways with the hose from the tell tail, backwards I have found that the water seems to be going into the exhaust system and not directly out through the bottom. When I blow up the telltail I can hear the blowing through the top exhaust vents and when I put the hose up the water inlet as I have removed the propeller/Water pump bit the water dosn’t even get to the top of the engine to come out of the tell tail outlet. Ouch I am thinking please could you advise weather is it worth stripping the exhaust plates.

07748 655731 London UK

Was the impeller,that you changed,intact? If not a piece could have lodged up the water intake.
This outboard expels the water through the exhaust so when you put the hose to the intake it flows up through the block and exits via exhaust,with a small amount via the tell-tale.
To test if the the water is making it to the top of the engine,put the hose to your hot tap,faucet to ye that live in the 'States,if you can,place your hand on the top of the block and if the block heats,then water making it all the way around

Thanks was getting worried for no reason it seems. Yes the impella was in bit and some bits missing ? Is there a thermostst or something on this engine ? Because I've seen videos of water pouring out of the telltail but only when the engine is running ??

Can't see a thermostat in the parts diagram,post the number of the engine and it can be narrowed down,but not on the 6cyl.
Are you sure you got all the bits from the impeller? There is a rubber seal in the exhaust plate,it may have melted in an overheat,no. 13, http://www.marineengine.com/parts/m...yl/6436123-and-up-usa/exhaust-extension-plate .Unlikely,take a serious overheat to damage it.
There may be brass nut or bolt between plug 4 and 5,you can pull it and blow compressed air through it,may loosen whatever is,if there is something,blocking the water passages.

IF an impeller vane is trapped up there, blocking the flow, you'll cook the power head. I suggest blasting compressed air and water together backwards through the power head until pierces blow out of there.

Jeff

Thanks for all your help chaps. I think I sort of understand the theory with the cooling on a boat outboard engine now. I also received the Seloc manual and helps a lot.

Many thanks

arry

Back