Logo

8HP 2004 2cycle Johnson J8RSOR, 1 issue solved, 1 issue remains!

johnpol

Hi, got a 8HP 2004 2cycle Johnson J8RSOR. A few weeks ago started having problems starting and staying on idle. Once started if it stopped it was nearly impossible to start again without holding near full throttle. Noticed water coming out of tel-tail was weak.

Replaced entire water pump, no help, replaced entire thermostat, still weak tell-tail engine running hot.
BTW: Never kept engine running long under this condition.

Removed lower end (again) to investigate water pump (again) and this time water tube came totally out of engine! The copper water tube was fractured at the exhaust just under the power head! Completely dismantled engine, removed powerhead, replaced gaskets and water tube ($) reassembled and cooling water and tell-tail working like new, engine runs cool and normal temp, BUT same hard start and idle issues!

I'm thinking the hard starts and idle issue are due to the carburetor? Motor was always easy to start but sat for about 1 month before these problems began.

Question: I ordered an OEM rebuild kit for the carburetor, I’ve rebuilt others before but not a Johnson J8RSOR carburetor, is there any “got ya’s” or specific’s I should be looking for? When I disassemble, will any parts “fly” out? Are there any areas to concentrate on, hidden passages, orifice, etc.?

Any ideas, suggestions greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
JP

Second problem solved! Cleaned & rebuilt carburetor with kit from MarineEngine.com, adjusted mixture, starts first pull, purrs like a kitten!

BTW, I ran SS wire through all orifices, fully removed idle set-screw, soaked all w/cleaner and blew everything with air.

Back