Logo

Did I install my impeller wrong

Sparks1987

I have a 115 Evinrude e-tec that i replaced the water pump on, after replacing the whole thing with a new kit. I put everything back together and there is water coming from the gap(with ears on. not dirrect connect) between the lower unit and the upper. is this normal.

If by "the gap", you're speaking of the metal to metal contact between the lower unit and the long exhaust housing that it attaches to... yes, water coming from that area would be normal. It will eventually clog up with debris so don't be concerned about it. It doesn't show up in the water anyway.

If by "the gap", you're speaking of the metal to metal contact between the lower unit and the long exhaust housing that it attaches to... yes, water coming from that area would be normal. It will eventually clog up with debris so don't be concerned about it. It doesn't show up in the water anyway.
Between the upper and lower unit there is a gap, I will try and post a video to better show what I'm talking about.

but keep an eye on that are for carbon. When I put mine on last year the exhaust gasket got pinched and was leaking . Had to take to lower unit off to reset it. Learned a little grease goes a long way.

As you can see, on that model, there are intentionally open gaps. They function as drain holes. Older models had a drain slot in front. In any case, any water coming out there has gone through the powerhead, done it's job, and was destined to go out underwater anyway. So no cooling loss. Relax, all is good.

Back