Logo

BF50A timing belt failure due to a BUG!

pcaker

Yes, hard to believe - a BUG! When mechanic removed flywheel to install new timing belt, he noticed unusual amount of debris below. Investigating, he found material packed between several adjacent gear teeth, presumably put there by a bug. This must have been placed between June & August when I had not been able to boat. When I tried to start engine in August, the material filled gear teeth forced the belt out sufficiently to slip - one for the books!

It is not unusual, especially when motors are stored for a long time. Even a short time like yours makes a nice home for various critters.

Just had a 130 in that sat for two years. It jumped three notches when they tried to start it. Filled a quart size zip lock bag with golf ball and tennis ball size nests. The customer did not want the bag when I offered it to him. LOL.

Also had an old Johnson 9.9 on a sailboat that would continually over heat. New water pump, thermostat, etc. Did not help.

Pulled the power head to check for bad seals.....found a small "dead" snake in the water passage. The customer "did" take that one home. Now he had a real story to tell his sailing buddies.

So...rule of thumb....I have found that when the customer said that he just took a motor out of storage and it does not run good, like it did last year....I check for critters and check timing before I jump to conclusions that the carburetor is gooed up (which it generally is if it is not the timing.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

I am sure many can jump in and add "odd things causing running problems" to your post. That might be a fun list of threads.

Mike

Last edited:
Mike called it on your other thread when he mentioned "mud dobbers" I believe. We called 'em "dirt dawbers" back in my youth growing up in north Texas. They will build nests ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE.

Glad you found the cause. It should go a LONG way to restore your faith in your Honda's "ruggedness".

Thanks for the update!

Thanks for your further inputs. Yes, the bug cause discovery has restored my faith in my motor! I worked a part time retirement job for a Honda dealer as a customer shuttle driver for a couple of years, during which we had several vehicles come in with creature caused internal damage. But somehow, I never thought it would happen to me!

Back