Logo

How to sell my boat motor?

nocebo808

I have a boat motor stored in the garage, mounted to a work bench. I want to sell the motor, but do not know how to go about it. It was used by a family member who no longer is available for guidance.

How do I go about selling it? I am thinking that the potential buyer will want to see it "run", but that is not possible in the current location in the garage. I just don't know how to go about trying to sell the motor.

Any advice? I am not a carpenter, and do not have access to anyone nearby with experience in boats. But, I can round up "helpers" if the project does not become too complicated. But I do not know anything about boats/motors. Yes, I have access to a truck. But not a boat. There is a harbor withing driving distance, but no retail stores there buy/sell 2nd hand motors, so I need to sell it on my own.

Thank you for any hints. The motor is a Yamaha 4 stroke 8HP 20" shaft, if that info helps you answer my question.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to answer. I do have access to local Craigslist for advertising, so that part is taken care of.

My problem is how do I get the motor running so potential buyers can see that it functions. I'm thinking I'll need to get it out of the garage (I don't want water in there). I have a big plastic barrel that can be used for water, but it is not sturdy enough to hold the motor on the side of the barrel. So, I'll need a stand or something to mount it on. Any suggestions of where there would be "plans" for building a simple stand that could be used for mounting the motor to run it? I can ask for help from friends if the project is simple enough.

Ayuh,.... Boat motor don't say much 'bout what ya got,....

Is it a 2 hp outboard, or a 400 hp inboard,..??

The motor is a Yamaha 4 stroke 8HP 20" shaft, if that info helps you answer my question.
I think it is called a "kicker"? Used as a backup motor for emergencies while on the water. Or as a motor for a very small boat?

I have the original receipt, if for some reason that helps with answers.

Last edited:
you dont need anything elaborate to run a motor that size...put the bottom of the motor in a 84 quart cooler and keep it filled by letting the hose run while running...nail a board between two trees or something to mount motor at correct height..i have done exactly that many years ago..

Back