Logo

Evinrude 1983 4hp E4BRHCTA compresion

albdiag

Engine sometime starts , some time not. Also when start it could stop. carburetor rebuild.
Today i make compression test and i see both pistons have 35 psi. (as i see compression should be 80 psi and more)

I open power head and i see that gasket looks ok. Rings are 1.5 mm thick

What could be wrong here. 35 psi is to low but engine starts. The testing gauge is ok

Any idea appreciated

thx
gusti

yes. but i not see any marks on the gasket.
i am suprised how it starts and work with 35 psi.
35 and even is probably a head gasket leaking between cylinders? Lightly surface the head on a glass table with 220 grit in a figure 8 pattern and then install the new head gasket and torque it down in a center out pattern in at least three steps. 60-80 inch lbs for head bolts.

thinking to give up. can not find pieces to my country . In usa the post to here is more expensive than the parts and will need 3 weeks to arrive.

All internal past are fine. like new ones.
Going to reassemble it with new gaskets hand made by a guy next door to my workshop. and test it latter

Just got another engine from ebay. Changed all gaskets include power head gasket, impeller.
Checked the compression. Still the same as the other engine. 35-40 psi on both pistons. Engines works fine on idle and power.
How is that possible?
Thx

Back